What’s the Average Cost of an Asphalt Shingle Roof in Rhode Island? (Updated for 2023)
How much does a new roof cost?
When planning for a new roof there are a number of different factors that play in to answering the question of how much does a new roof cost?
The cost of an asphalt shingle roof in Rhode Island can vary depending on several factors. On average, the cost of a residential roof replacement with architectural shingles can range from $4.50 to $6.50 per square foot and includes materials, labor, disposal of old roof, taxes, and permits. This means a 1,500 square foot roof could cost anywhere from $6,750 to $9,750. Note roofing professionals often estimate roof replacement on a cost per square basis, however this does not impact the costs below.
Primary Factors that Impact the Cost of an Asphalt Shingle Roof in Rhode Island
However, this is just an average roof cost and the actual cost is based on the many factors that can influence the cost including:
1. Size of the roof: A larger roof will require more materials and labor, increasing the overall cost of the project. Roofers will often determine the roof size based on 10' by 10' square foot increments referred as squares.
2. Complexity of the roof design: A roof with multiple angles, valleys, and ridges will require more time and materials to install leading to a higher cost.
3. Quality of the shingles: The type of asphalt shingles you choose can greatly impact the cost of the roof. High-quality shingles will be more expensive, but will also last longer and provide better protection for your home.
4. Labor costs: The cost of labor can vary depending on the experience and reputation of the roofing contractor. A more experienced contractor will likely charge more, but will also provide a higher-quality installation backed by a manufacturer warranty.
To get an accurate estimate of the cost of an asphalt shingle roof for your home, it is best to get a detailed estimate from a local roofing contractor in Rhode Island.
Secondary Factors that Influence the Cost of an Asphalt Shingle Roof
In addition to the factors listed above, there are several other factors that can influence the cost of an asphalt shingle roof. Some of these include:
1. Location: The cost of materials and labor can vary greatly depending on your location. For example, a roof in a coastal or urban area may cost more than rural areas due to extra regulations and/or permitting costs.
2. Time of year: The cost of a roof can also be influenced by the time of year. For example, roofing contractors may be more busy during the summer months, leading to higher labor costs.
3. Type of roof: The type of roof you have can also impact the cost of the project. For example, a walkable roof will be less expensive to install than a steeply sloped roof.
4. Additional work: Items that might add to the roof replacement cost might include chimney flashing, repairs, plywood installation, labor for removal of extra layers of roofing and related disposal costs, and/or skylight replacement.
Average cost to replace a roof in Rhode Island based on roof size:
Below is a price range of roof replacement in Rhode Island based on roof square footage (not foundation area):
· 1,000 square feet: $4,500 to $6,500
· 1,100 square feet: $4,950 to $7,150
· 1,200 square feet: $5,400 to $7,800
· 1,500 square feet: $6,750 to $9,750
· 1,600 square feet: $7,200 to $10,400
· 1,700 square feet: $7,650 to $11,050
· 1,800 square feet: $8,100 to $11,700
· 1,900 square feet: $8,550 to $12,350
· 2,000 square feet: $9,000 to $13,000
· 2,500 square feet: $11,250 to $16,250
· 3,000 square feet: $13,500 to $19,500
In conclusion, an asphalt shingle roof is a cost-effective option for Rhode Island homeowners. The average cost can range from $4.50 to $6.50 per square foot installed, and the cost can be influenced by factors such as the size of the roof, the complexity of the roof design, the quality of the shingles, and the labor costs. In addition to being cost-effective, an asphalt shingle roof is durable, aesthetically pleasing, easy to install, energy efficient, and versatile. To get an accurate estimate of the cost of an asphalt shingle roof for your home, it is best to get a detailed estimate from a local roofing contractor in Rhode Island.